A comprehensive look into the aspects of psychology that are obviously intertwined by the teachings of Islam, but which are easily overlooked by many people. This blog's purpose is to point out the undoubted connection the study of the human brain, mind, soul, and their envrionments have with the teaching of the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah (actions and sayings) of the beloved prophet Muhammed (May God's Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him).

Friday, October 12, 2007

Ramadan Reflections Part One

Peace and Blessings to All,

I have not posted in a long while, and I apologize for that. For some reason, I go through short periods of time where I do not write anything at all, and I am now determined to become more consistent with my efforts. For any new readers, this blog is meant to tie in Psychology with the great teachings of Islam. My eyes see life in two ways, through the perspective of psychology, and through an Islamic viewpoint. It is not hard to see that these two disciplines are highly coordinated, and I will be documenting more evidence inshAllah.
The holy month of Ramadadan of the 2007 lunar year has come and passed. All praises to Allah, the month has been a month of contemplation, as well as reawakening. At the beginning of the month I contemplated about the point of Ramadan. Aside from what people tell me that it is, for example, the month in which the Holy Qur'an was revealed, a month to fast from sunrise to sunset, etc. The truth is that Ramadan means so much more. The blessings of this month have become more and more apparent year by year.
In a blog I wrote on Facebook, I mentioned how angry I had become when I realized that some people totally misunderstood the meaning of Ramadan. After taking a look back at my spiritual state from then until now, I realized that I, myself, did not, and presently still do not understand the true meaning of Ramadan. However, I believe that I did gain some sort of deeper understanding during this Ramadan.
That blog was entitled "Not During Ramadan". The main topic of that article was my venting of frustration towards people who told me that they are not performing specific actions during the month of Ramadan. I believe that I still do have a valid point in my argument. Certain people "become pious" during the month of Ramadan, and then go back to doing the exact same things that they were doing prior to it. My teachers have taught me that the month of Ramadan should be like a charger for your battery that keeps you running, in this case, the battery is Iman (Faith). By human nature, faith increases and decreases at a fixed rate. That is the nature of life, for every negative, there is a positive, and vice versa. One of the purposes of Ramadan is to increase the positive, and raise your faith to a higher level. However, that faith should raise to a level that is higher than that of the previous year. The point of Ramadan is not to stop committing a sin for a short period of time, with no intention to stop doing that sin. At the same time, it might be a good thing to stop committing a sin for a short period of time, since there is hope that practicing that patience will further continue to develop, and will help an individual maintain their abstinence from evil. If I was wrong with what I said, may Allah (SWT) forgive me for my short comings.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home